Oct 15, 2012

Book Review: Hush, Hush - Becca Fitzpatrick

Title: Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush #1)
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Release Date: The edition I have was published in October 13th 2010
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Pages: 391 (paperback)
When Nora and Patch are forced together as lab partners, Nora would rather fall to her death than put up with his elusive answers to her questions, his teasing, and his infuriatingly handsome face and hypnotizing eyes. It seems Patch was put on earth just to drive her crazy. 
But before long, Nora's defenses start to break down as her curiosity about Patch heats up. Why does he always seem to be wherever she is and know exactly what she's thinking? How does he know what to say to both attract and repulse her? And what is up with those V-shaped scars on his chiseled back? 
As their connection grows stronger, Nora's own life becomes increasingly fragile. Nora needs to decide: Is Patch the one who wants to do her harm or the one who will keep her safe? Has she fallen for one of the fallen?
I first heard of Hush, Hush back in 2009, I think. A friend uploaded a photo of her copy and I just fell in love with the cover. I mean, look at it; it's perfect! Anyway, I only got to read it around October or November of last year, and as my first YA book, to say that it's memorable is an understatement.

Hush, Hush introduced me to my first literary crush, Patch Cipriano - my first, and still immovable from the top five. If the phrase "tall, dark, and handsome" was to be put in the dictionary, his photo would be right next to it. Also, epic won't even begin to describe his witty remarks. If he doesn't get to you, you're either a rotting cabbage or a brick wall. (I'm kidding, of course. I understand that not every girl likes a bad boy.)

Okay, now that I've gotten the thing I loved most in Hush, Hush out of the way, I'll get to what I didn't like. There's Nora, because she came across as the smart, composed girl, but when it came to Vee, her irritatingly desperate best friend, she was a plain pushover - and do I hate pushovers. My dislike for Vee is a given, of course.


You might be wondering; no, I totally understand Nora's undoing when it comes to Patch. I would've felt the same if I were her.

Because I'm writing this review after having read this book thrice in a year, the ending wasn't a surprise to me anymore, but I devoured it like I did before. Becca Fitzpatrick perfectly balanced mystery, suspense, and romance so it's no surprise how well Hush, Hush has done in the market. I'll also re-read and review Crescendo and Silence before I pick up Finale which will come out on the 23rd!

MY FAVORITE PART was the motel scene. Oh, Nora, how I envy you.

RATING: 5/5
(photo and summary from Goodreads.com)

2 comments:

  1. My best friends love the books in this series, but I haven't really caved. Definitely going to try it for myself now. Great review! :)

    - Ellie @ The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! Hush, Hush has always been my favorite book of the series and I'm so glad that you loved it too! :)

    Louisse @ The Soul Sisters

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments so post away! <3

Also, I appreciate the thought but this is now an award- and tag-free zone :D