Jul 12, 2013

Book Review: The Human - Keary Taylor

Title: The Human (The Eden Trilogy #2)
Author: Keary Taylor
Release Date: June 5th 2013
Publisher: Self-published
Source: eARC from author
The city of New Eden is cleared, but it won’t stay that way forever. The Bane continue to advance in horrific ways that will wipe humanity from the face of the Earth. A storm is coming, one none of them could have dared imagine.
When a group of outsiders come to the city, everyone is on edge. They have too many questions and not enough answers about where they are from or what they want. Just because they are human doesn’t mean they can be trusted.
Eve made a choice–one that could have deadly repercussions. Desperate hearts bring about desperate actions. Now she must make another decision as her world continues to crumble: come to terms with who she really is, or risk her sanity. She thought she had unlocked all the secrets from her past, but there are truths still buried that leave her questioning what is real and what is not.
I admit, I opened this book with caution as I didn't enjoy The Bane as much as I'd wanted to, and then there's the issue of Second Book Syndrome. Well, now I say this: I don't think a sequel has outdone its predecessor as much as The Human did. It was more action-packed and fast-paced; I just tore through this book and finished it in less than a day.

Even though I read the first book back in April, I didn't have a hard time getting swooped back into this world, which we saw more of as Eve was made an unwilling "tourist". We learn of what's happening on a grander scale, upping the stakes and the excitement.

Also, Eve improved drastically compared to how she had been in The Bane—or at least, I liked her better. She sounded less mechanical—explaining further would be spoiler-y, I think—so it wasn't anymore hard to connect with her. Don't worry, that little bump in emotions didn't compromise her kickass-ery.
This game was tiring me very quickly and I was having a very bad week. The distrust and anger inside of me quickly flooded my veins.

I crossed the room and nestled the barrel of my rifle between her ribs. "Where are you from?" I said.

The other two sides of the love triangle in this series had also changed. Avian did so for the better; like Eve, he showed more emotion, and although they were often followed by irrational actions, I think that just made him more real. West, on the other hand, totally turned me offI rooted for him in the first book, you know. His bitterness was understandable, but that doesn't mean I appreciated it. It was also utterly selfish of him to force himself onto Eve (not in the sexual-harassment kind of way) when he knew damn well that being near him endangered her.

Aside from the adrenaline-pumping action, The Human was also full of twists that I'd never seen coming. The ending was insanely good and goosebump-inducing, and the wait for the third book will surely be torture. I'm desperate to know how the explosive revelations will reverberate!

MY FAVORITE PART was Eve waking up in a tree and discovering her new "talent".

RATING:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments so post away! <3

Also, I appreciate the thought but this is now an award- and tag-free zone :D