Dec 12, 2013

Novella Mini-Reviews: Brooke; Crossing the Line

Title: Brooke (Under the Never Sky #2.5)
Author: Veronica Rossi
Release Date: November 26th 2013
Publisher: HarperCollins
Age Group: Young Adult
Source: Bought
Set just before the events of Into the Still Blue, the conclusion to Veronica Rossi's Under the Never Sky trilogy, this breathtaking novella is a satisfying stand-alone for new readers as well as an exciting glimpse at favorite characters from the trilogy. Pulsing with romance and danger, Brooke will leave readers desperate for the conclusion to this epic and unforgettable saga.
The only fight she can't win is the one for Perry's heart. Following the stunning climax in Through the Ever Night, the Tides have been forced to seek shelter from the Aether storms in a dismal, secluded cave. But Brooke's memories of the cave go back much further, to when she and Perry used to come here together. That was before Perry fell in love with Aria and before Vale's dealings with the Dwellers altered the course of the Tides forever.
Now, with her sister back from a haunting year in captivity and Aria lying unconscious in the sick bay, Brooke struggles to put the pieces of her life back together. Without Perry, who is she? And what is her role in this frightening new world? As these questions swirl about her, an old threat to the Tides resurfaces, and Brooke is forced to put the lives of her people before her own. But in taking this step outside of herself, Brooke may finally discover what she truly wants.
I'm not going to lie—before I started reading this novella, I had zero fondness for Brooke. I saw her as another obstacle for my Perry/Aria ship (still one of the top ships in my fleet). She was right up there in my hit list with Consul Hess and Sable, and it actually crossed my mind not to read this for the simple reason that it's about her. But pick it up I did, and I'm glad I made that decision.

I didn't want to like Brooke, but Veronica Rossi wasted no time in making me feel otherwise. I understood her side of things—and by 'things' I mean her dislike of Aria—and I actually pitied her because she really did seem to be alone. But I also admired her because even though her life sucked, she didn't break down and let sadness get the best of her. Instead, she put up a strong, brave, and determined front which eventually became reality.

Long story short, there was lots of character development for Brooke in here, and I'm really excited to see the new her in Into the Still Blue (hopefully she'll be less of a bitch to Aria or the two of us are going to have problems again). Oh, and there was lots of kissing too; not quite the kind I'd expected, but better, in my opinion. Hey, a girl's allowed to have her fun, right?

MY FAVORITE PART was the Four teasing Brooke :))

RATING:


Title: Crossing the Line (Pushing the Limits #1.5)
Author: Katie McGarry
Release Date: April 1st 2013
Publisher: HarlequinTEEN
Age Group: Young Adult
Source: Bought
Lila McCormick, Echo's best friend from Pushing the Limits, first met Lincoln Turner when tragedy struck both their lives. But she never expected their surprise encounter would lead to two years of exchanging letters—or that she’d fall for the boy she’s only seen once. Their relationship is a secret, but Lila feels closer to Lincoln than anyone else. Until she finds out that he lied to her about the one thing she depended on him for the most.
Hurting Lila is the last thing Lincoln wanted. For two years, her letters have been the only thing getting him through the day. Admitting his feelings would cross a line he’s never dared breach before. But Lincoln will do whatever it takes to fix his mistakes, earn Lila’s forgiveness—and finally win a chance to be with the girl he loves.
Lila was one of my favorite characters in Pushing the Limits. She stuck by Echo through everything, even when it meant she could lose her popular status. She seemed like such a brave, carefree girl, but even then I knew there was something up with her, particularly with her love life.

Well, turns out she had a secret guy! Lila met Lincoln during Echo's and Lincoln's brothers' funeral, and since then, they've been exchanging letters. As in real, honest-to-God handwritten letters. In a time of emails and texts, just how sweet is that? We get less than a hundred pages of their story, but their chemistry was undeniable and their love nowhere near instant. It was nowhere near perfect, too, but I liked how they were both mature enough to let go of their inhibitions and go after what they really wanted.

Crossing the Line is a freaking novella, but I feel like I've just read another romantic, sexy, funny, and emotional novel from Katie McGarry. I loved the ending, but I want more! Random, but I'm not the only one who wants to read about a group date between all of the couples in this series, right? Right?!

MY FAVORITE PART was Lila and Lincoln's hilarious commando stint.

RATING:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments so post away! <3

Also, I appreciate the thought but this is now an award- and tag-free zone :D